Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fleetwood Mac

Yet again I was very pleasantly surprised by a crowd at a concert. Last night I managed to find a cheap ticket on the street to see the amazing Fleetwood Mac at the Xcel Energy Center. I must say I was not sure what to expect from this concert, having never had much contact with the band outside of their basic greatest hits. I must say that the musicianship displayed onstage was stunning and sounded especially good for it having been only the second date of the tour.

I was not at all surprised to be surrounded by nothing but mostly middle-aged concert goers, and was giving a few strange looks from a few of them, probably wondering if I was lost or something, as if people my age could never stand music like this. What really lifted my spirits and gave me a ray of hope in humanity was that right in front of me was a family of 4, mother, father, and two daughters, only around 6 and 10. What really amazed me was that the 10 year old girl was absolutely ECSTATIC to be there, almost as if she already knew more about the band than I did (she very well may have!)

The band came onstage just a little past 8, and started out with a few basic hits, but they seemed stale. It didn't seem like they really wanted to be there (besides Mick Fleetwood, who I think may be a raving lunatic.) But after about 3 songs, and a couple absolutely insane Lindsey Buckingham solos they started to really get stuff in gear, Buckingham and the ever strange Stevie Nicks began moving around the stage a bit more (though Nicks seemed a little out of it the whole night, but she brought it together near the end.)

Running through all of their greatest hits, some I had never heard but am really intrigued by, and a few extended jams (and at an extremely tollerable volume as well,) I expected this to be one of those hour and 15 minute concerts, just so the band doesn't have to do too much work, but still get the money out of it. But lo and behold, Fleetwood Mac played for right and 2 hours and twenty minutes, I would have NEVER expected a band of this stature to play that long on a reunion tour.

Overall i really enjoyed the experience (maybe not the drunken 45 year old lady next to me singing and dancing to every song...) and would have to say that when they get going, Fleetwood Mac really get kicking, and get very emotional with their live show. Lindsey Buckingham has definitely become a new influence upon me, and I strongly recommend spinning the bands album Rumours, just as I am right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment